Friday, June 6, 2008

The final countdown

Well about 37 weeks down, not much more to go. I am feeling ready now, however I still have very mixed feelings. I have loved being pregnant probably because I have been lucky enough to have avoided all the common discomforts that pregancy is notorious for, nausea and vomiting (aka morning sickness), constipation, hemorrhoids, excessive weight gain-to name a few! Don't get me wrong, my pregnancy has not gone totally without some mild inconveniences however most of them fortunately waited until my 8th month or so. Since my 8th month I have noted increased frequency and intensity of heartburn, slight urinary incontinence when laughing hard or sneezing, swollen feet/ankles/legs to the point of mild discomfort when walking, increased weight gain (weight gain now on a daily basis rather than the measly 1 pound or so per wk or two I was gaining for the longest time), discomfort when doing simple routine things such as attempting to shave my legs or even washing my feet when showering or even my newest discomfort when reaching around what feels like my ENORMOUS belly to wash my most private delicate areas. I also now feel as if I have a built in buoyancy vest with the two so called breasts I have to lug around with me daily-each of which I swear weighs ten pounds a piece. I am reaching sizes I never imagined were possible on my body without the assistance of a plastic surgeon and a good job as a stripper! And the best is yet to come because they are predicted to get even bigger! Hopefully breastfeeding will be a smashing success because what a waste if it does not go well. And my nemesis since the beginning of my pregnancy the shortness of breath I have felt both with and without activity still remains after all these months. Friends have joked around and said to me that if they didn't know better they would've thought they called a 1-900 number to speak to someone at times! But despite all these mild discomforts, I am blessed to have gotten to exerience it and I feel somewhat saddened by the thought of it coming to an end. I will forever miss the many joys it brings, like knowing that this is the one and only time in life that he will be with you 100% of the time, and knowing that as long as he is within you he is as healthy and safe as possible, and feeling his little body move within you, a constant reminder that he is still there. But I find myself now waiting in eager anticipation to see him and hold him and see Shane hold him and get some kind of reassurance once and for all that he is healthy. I also feel fearful of giving up the life that I once had before he existed, fearful of the unknown-what kind of parent will I be. But I know that I will never regret moving foward to this stage of my life and everything will always somehow be okay. I am now 37 weeks, over 2 cm dilated and just about as effaced as can be as of yesterday. I've noticed an increase and the number of contractions I am getting since yesterday and also an increase in their intensity some more than others. However, they have not yet taken on any pattern that warrants a trip to the hospital. So I guess its safe to say my countdown has begun. Its funny that all the things I fear the most and waste the most energy in anxiety are revolving around everything but the discomforts of labor and delivery. That has never seemed to scare me or cause much anxiety for some reason. Maybe it'll hit me like a ton of bricks on d-day! Oh and one more bit of good news to report...Shane has been assigned TAD on the CG base in sector St. Pete for the duration of my pregnancy...I will fortunately have him home every night at least until my delivery date. Thank you US Coast Guard for its understanding.

No comments: